11/27/13

On Old Souls


There are generally two types of old men,  the loveable, friendly, grandfather-to-all types (like my pops) and their ornery, cantankerous counterparts. I fall into the second category. Yes. I know, I'm not that old, nor am I a man, but hear me out (read me out?). My personality would tell a different story.


How I feel, most days...

While the grandfatherly type can usually be found on a bench -wherever there are benches, because they will always find them- mingling with other like minded gentlemen, the second type... my people... are on their own bench, complaining. How is it that every bench that has ever been, since the invention of benches, has had an elderly man on it, at all times? Oh, and they're usually complaining about my favourite things, in no particular order:

+ the weather

+ today's youth

+ their health

I'm not sour all day, everyday, but it's not unlikely either. Matt is the complete opposite, sunshine and rainbows to balance me out, it's why we work. When he's in the mean reds, I'm chipper and upbeat, almost alarmingly so. But, this works for me, being an old soul, happily unhip, tea drinking, untrusting anything new or novel. 

I will forever befriend the elderly man in my closest vicinity, it's like a habit at this point. We are kindred spirits, those grumps and I. And, once I'm as physically old as my demeanour, you will be able to find me on the bench, with the others.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice comments only please, my Mum reads this!