12/20/13

The Christmas Tree Farm Revisited; And Introducing…



Good Evening Internet,

Before we begin I feel it important to declare the following: The Organic Seasonal Decoration depicted below is not to be considered a “tree”. The gentleman at the Christmas tree farm said as much himself, preferring not to refer to it as a tree due to its size.  Not being a tree, the decoration cannot be in violation of any building rules regarding natural Christmas trees.

Clearly not a tree.

Also, I’m Matt.  I have a beard, and frequently work away from where I live.  A few weeks ago Carla and I took the kids to a Christmas tree farm in neighboring Hants County. While photographing the adventure I commented that I might like to write a guest post.  And here you find me.

In neighboring Hants County, a short jaunt up the 101 from Halifax, lies the lovely rural community of Mount Uniacke.  In Mount Uniacke reside a brave couple who have risen to the daunting task of domesticating their small acreage, wrestling the pines, firs, and spruces into the submissive and orderly garden that is a Christmas tree farm.  Having grown up in a rural community myself, and having spent no small part of my childhood running through the forest, I find the sight of trees growing neatly in rows a bit odd.

Max however, is a child of the suburbs.  And being loosed upon the wilderness with the only instruction of finding a tree decoration to cut down is a situation that fills him with a vicious excitement.

Arborist's are in demand.  Skills shortage and all.

As it was very cold and we were poorly dressed, our trip consisted of a short lap around a few strands of trees, hoping to locate a suitable victim as quickly as possible.

A first.

Victory!

Also, this was Max’s first opportunity to play in snow this winter.  An opportunity he celebrated by covering himself in the white stuff, and throwing a goodly portion of it at his mother, sister, and I.

Production.
Execution.
There were also sheep.

Having successfully smuggled our new friend into our home, a struggle involving no less than 3 SWAT turns and a mad dash up multiple flights of stairs, the kids took to polishing her up with wild fervor.

Max, unable to reach the top unaided, decided the best course of action would be to leap from the rail of Ellie’s crib, and crown the tree as he sailed by.  We talked him out of it.



Additional photos follow.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice comments only please, my Mum reads this!