1/8/14

A few of our favourite books

You were supposed to read that to the tune of "These are a few of my favourite things". Anyway, on our drive to Cape Breton we were listening to CBC radio (we always do). They were having a discussion about the most popular kids books right now and had listeners call in with their recommendations. Not one of the books we read on repeat were mentioned, but I did get a few ideas  to add to our collection.

Over Christmas collectively I think the Brown family received no less than thirty new books. We take reading seriously. They're stacked all over the house, crammed onto bookshelves and we all have a few piled up on our nightstands. Even though there's an entire library to choose from we always come back to the same ones.

In no particular order I give you...

Max's picks :



+ The Duckling Gets a Cookie by Mo Willem

+ The Incredible Book Eating Boy &The Way Back Home by Oliver Jeffers

+ Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

+ Mad About Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans

+ All by Myself by Mercer Mayer


Ellies favourites :



+ Eloise by Kay Thompson

+ Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne

+ Olivia by Ian Falconer

+ The Paperbag Princess by Robert Munsch

+ Splat The Cat by Rob Scotton


I'm really lucky my kids have somewhat decent taste in books, because they have a lot that are just insufferable and it's nice to wind down before bed with a book everyone enjoys. The babes get to pick their own bedtime stories but sometimes Matt and I pick one or two, just because we really like them.


So, this is what we'd pick every night, if we could :



+ The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

+ Pierre by Maurice Sendak

+ I Have to Go by Robert Munsch

+ Dear Mr. Blueberry by Simon James

+The Kings Stilts by Dr. Suess

* I Have to Go is missing from the picture. I later found it in the bathroom. Almost too perfect.*


Did we miss any good ones?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice comments only please, my Mum reads this!